Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cheese please Louise


I recently gave up dairy after being advised to by Nelly the Nutritionist, a crazy old French lady that I hardly know. Seemed like a good idea and I'll pretty much buy into what anyone says these days, if it'll help us get pregnant more quickly. But nothing brings a whiff of disdain into the room, like an unjustified food requirement. By unjustified, I mean, I'm not lactose intolerant, so I have no valid reason to not eat
dairy, at least in the eyes of the cheese eating masses. I'm clearly just doing it for attention.
This suspicion was proved when I asked a friend of mine if she thought
I was being high-maintenance when I refused a biscuit that had dairy
in it. She told me she thought I was being 'extreme'. It's funny, when
you become a vegetarian, do people say, oh c'mon, it's just a few bits
of bacon...or...they're just sweets, who cares if they have gelatin in
them??
Come to find out, we live in a meat-eating, dairy-consuming, sugar-
guzzling, eat-everything society, where if you stray from the 'norm'
for any other reason than if you eat it you will die, you're the weirdo.
Still, I don't miss cheese anymore-for the most part, it disgusts me a
bit. On a rare occasion I'll have a bit of goats cheese, but i don't enjoy it the way i used to, tied up as it now is, in guilt.
I have stopped trying to eat weirdly textured cheese alternatives, and
accepted this new dietary reality of mine. Dairy-free. I like the
sound of that :)

[Which] protein consistently and strongly promoted cancer [in this research]? Casein, which makes up 87% of cow’s milk protein, promoted all stages of the cancer process. What type of protein did not promote cancer, even at high levels of intake? The safe proteins were from plants, including wheat and soy.

– T. Colin Campbell, The China Study


At the Vitality Show, there were plenty of stalls hawking their gluten
free wheat free dairy free taste free products. One in particular had
folks buzzing around the table because of the free samples, it
featured various nuts and seeds and things, enrobed in dark chocolate,
all crunched up and snackalicious. Of course, now my eyes are open,
there's no going back to blindness, so I ruin the fantasy and check
the small print on the back of the packet.
In one 100g serving, it contained 24g of SATURATED fat, and over 30g
of sugar. The daily recommended intake of Sat fat for women is 20g.
Amazing. And this is touted as a 'healthy' snack.

Know what you're putting into your body! Alright, lecture over.

No comments:

Post a Comment